Notary Public Tunbridge Wells

Welcome to the website of Peter Giblin, Notary Public

I offer Notary services to clients all along the A21 corridor from Hastings to Bromley, including Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks, Orpington, Petts Wood, Crowborough, Wadhurst and Chislehurst.

Appointments are available at either my office in Wadhurst or at your own office or home at a time to suit you. Weekend or evening appointments are also possible.

For a quotation or to make an appointment please visit the contact page.

Click on a link below for answers to the following.

What does a Notary Public do?

A Notary Public notarises documents for use all over the world. The documents have to be signed in the presence of a Notary Public who is appointed by the Court or by Royal Authority. The Notary has to be satisfied that the person signing has been correctly identified and that he or she understands the nature of the document and the legal implications of it. The Notary will witness the signatures and affix their own signature and Seal of Office.

The need for a Notary Public is dictated by the requirements of the country where the document is to be used. For example, if you wish to buy a property abroad, it is often necessary to give your overseas lawyer power to deal with the purchase. This can be done by means of a power of attorney, which is signed by you in front of a Notary. The Notary Public will confirm your name and identity and sign the document and seal it with their official seal.

The Notary's duty is to the document itself and persons relying upon its authenticity.

Back to top of Notary Public Tunbridge Wells, Hastings & Bromley

What services do you offer?

Notaries generally act as legally trained impartial witnesses to certify documents for use outside the UK.

I can offer:

  • Witnessing the execution of documents and verifying the authenticity of signatures
  • Certifying Powers of Attorney for use abroad
  • Certifying passports
  • Notarising documents for use in buying or selling property abroad
  • Certifying birth and marriage certificates
  • Verifying translations from foreign documents to English and vice versa
  • Notarising Bills of exchange and other contracts
  • Legalisation of the Notary's signature and seal by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and/or by the embassy of the relevant country
  • The provision of Notarial copies
  • Notarising medical reports and police reports for use in connection with adoption
  • Authenticating the contents of documents
  • Certifying examination certificates
  • Confirming identification records when applying for lost or stolen passports
  • Notarising foreign Wills

Please note I cannot certify as true copies documents with a Crown copyright.

Back to top of Notary Public Tunbridge Wells, Hastings & Bromley

What is an Apostille or Legalisation?

A notarised document may often need to be further authenticated by having the U.K. Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirm the validity of the Notary's signature and seal. The requirement for this will depend on the foreign country involved. This is done by legalisation by the use of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office's official certificate attached to the document, known as an apostille. These are internationally recognised under the Hague Convention.

Back to top of Notary Public Tunbridge Wells, Hastings & Bromley

Identification required when seeing a Notary Public

To comply with money laundering regulations a Notary must confirm your identity. When attending an appointment with a Notary each person signing the document must provide at least one of the following:

  • Driving licence with photo ID card
  • A valid passport
  • National identity card (only for EEA state members)
  • Armed forces pass (with photo and signature)
  • Firearms licence (with photo and signature)
  • Any other official government issue ID card (with photo and signature)
  • Residence permit (where relevant)

You must also provide proof of your address by one of the following:

  • Recent bank statement or letter from bank
  • Recent utility bill or council tax bill (not a mobile phone bill)
  • Tenancy agreement or Housing Association rent card for your current address
  • Inland Revenue tax demand or self assessment statement

If you are acting on behalf of a Corporation or Partnership you must provide evidence of the due incorporation of the company or partnership. This can be one of the following documents:

  • Certificate of incorporation
  • Extract from the company register
  • Latest report and audited accounts
  • Up to date certified copy of partnership agreement

You must also provide evidence of your authority to act for that company.

Back to top of Notary Public Tunbridge Wells, Hastings & Bromley

Notarisation of Qualifications

Large numbers of certificates are often required to be notarised when applying for jobs or any positions abroad. I can have these notarised quickly and efficiently upon the production of the originals. If originals are not available please call me to see if there is an alternative.

Back to top of Notary Public Tunbridge Wells, Hastings & Bromley

How much does it cost for documents notarising?

The cost will depend on the number of documents to be notarised. To obtain a quote please contact me with the following information:

  • What type of document do you need notarising
  • How many different documents do you need notarising
  • How many copies of each notarised document do you require
  • Are the documents being notarised for an individual or company
  • Which country are the documents intended for
  • Whether you require an Apostille (if known)

Please visit the contact us page to obtain a quotation.

Back to top of Notary Public Tunbridge Wells, Hastings & Bromley